eVTOL Fly-By-Wire Principal System Engineer for Global Automotive Company in San Luis Obispo, CA
As the Fly-By-Wire (FBW) Principal System Engineer, you will be responsible for leading activities of design and certification of the FBW/VMS system of the eVTOL aircraft. This work will include working with system suppliers and multiple teams within the company in both USA and/ or Japan. The design, development, integration, and certification of the system will take advantage of several different testing environments including laboratories and experimental flying vehicles. The FBW System will host serval critical functionalities that control the aircraft flight, including aircraft flight control laws that are developed and implemented by the company and its suppliers. The FBW System is one of the systems with the highest levels of complexity and criticality in the eVTOL aircraft.
This company is on a mission to revolutionize freedom of mobility by building the next generation of mobility ecosystem with the eVTOL vehicle at its core. We are looking for creative innovators and people who are committed to having a profound impact on our world – bringing more joy to people’s lives and committed to protecting our planet. People who will help this company expand its sustainable energy and mobility solutions, and products that keep their customers safe.
- Contribute to the establishment of processes and standards for development, test, and certification of the eVTOL FBW System.
- Develop the FBW System architecture and its interfaces with all other aircraft systems.
- Define and maintain configuration control of the FBW System components.
- Select and work with system and equipment suppliers.
- Provide subject matter expert level technical leadership, mentoring and guidance on both practical and theoretical aspects of critical systems development, testing, and certification according to the industry rules, guidance, and standards.
- Determine and manage the activities of FBW System team, controlling scheduling, budget, and resources.
- Maintains good relationships and coordinates activities of the FBW System team with other teams, including other aircraft systems teams, Program Management team, Flight Test team, certification authorities, consultants, suppliers, etc.
- Determine and manage activities to be performed by the system suppliers or other third-party companies supporting the company on development, testing, and certification of the eVTOL aircraft.
- Coordinate and support discussions with regulatory agencies and certification authorities from the USA and other countries.
- Track and report status of the FBW System team to ensure milestones are achieved as planned, while keeping team motivation and collaboration spirit.
- The position requires compliance with the USA Export Control regulations.
- Must have previous Fly-By-Wire, Systems Engineering, System Integration and experience with both FAA and EASA certification programs.
- Understanding of how worldwide key suppliers address certification requirements and fundamental issues that arise.
- 10+ years of experience in complex aerospace system development, testing, and certification in either Commercial (Part 23, 25: preference, 27, and/or 29) or Military aircraft programs.
- Knowledge and experience with highly integrated system development following SAE guidance ARP-4754A.
- Knowledge and experience with systems comprised of items compliant with RTCA standards applicable to aircraft development like DO-160, DO-254, DO-178, DO-331 and others.
- Knowledge and experience with aircraft certification with FAA, EASA, TCCA, and/or other aircraft certification authorities around the world.
- Must be able to demonstrate a clear understanding, knowledge, and ability to develop critical and highly integrated aircraft systems.
- Deep understanding of communication standards and protocols like UART based RS-232/422/485, CAN or ARINC-825, ARINC-429, AFDX, ARINC-664, etc.
- Around 5+ years leading engineering teams.
- Around 5+ years of experience in teaching, coaching, and developing others.
- A bachelor's Degree in relevant engineering area, with a master's degree in a technical and/or management specialty preferred.
- Experience working with executive leadership teams, using performance indicators and metrics to provide reports.
- Experience with risk tracking and mitigation.
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret results of engineering analyses and tests.
- Candidate is required to be a "US Person" as defined by 22 C.F.R. (US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee).
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA or Remote with 1-2 weeks of travel required on site every month/ every other month depending on project needs in San Luis Obispo, CA