Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, software engineering or a related technical field is required. Agile experience preferred.
Responsibilities for this Position:
Department of Defense Top Secret security clearance is preferred at the time of hire or obtainable within a reasonable time period. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
General Dynamics Mission Systems has immediate openings for an Entry Level Software Engineer (May 2023). This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
Do you like knowing that your work has life-saving value? Do you like the squeak of dry-erase markers on a giant whiteboard, or a lively debate about a user’s optimal experience, or the view of the South Side slopes, or the autonomy to accomplish your goals as you see fit, or board game lunches? Do you like the kind of day where you learn so many new skills that your brain feels like it just ate Thanksgiving dinner? Sound intriguing? Viz is looking for people like you: smart, creative, and fun.
We make software that interactively visualizes data. We make software that enables massive collaboration. We make software that supports our men and women in the military, that smoothes the way of emergency responders here at home, that offers insight to researchers and data analysts. We’re a passionate, close-knit group of inter-disciplinary thinkers and doers that craft truly one-of-a-kind software used all over the world, and we do it from our cozy-casual office here in Pittsburgh.
Check out who we are and what we do here in Pittsburgh!
As an Entry Level Software Engineer, you will:
- Assist in software requirements analysis, design, development and testing for software enhancements and new products
- Apply the appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools throughout the system development life cycle to support the generation of technical engineering products
- Support and develop our technical culture by being engaged, intellectually curious, friendly, motivated to solve complex problems, and inspired to deliver superior user-centered design
- Participate in internal reviews of software components and systems
Candidates should have demonstrated strengths and experience in some of the following areas:
- User Interface development
- Computer science theory (e.g., data structures, algorithms, computational complexity)
- Appreciation for user-centric design
- Full use and understanding of software engineering concepts, principles, and theories
- Effective communication and attention to detail
- Strong fundamentals in data structures and algorithms
- Solid object oriented programming and software design skills
Other beneficial common programming patters/paradigms:
- Experience with version control systems
- Concurrent programming and building multi-threaded systems
- Memory and CPU profiling
- Data modeling and writing efficient data access methods
- Experience building large-scale mission-critical applications
- Experience with distributed systems
- Direct-manipulation user interfaces
- Information visualization
- HCI coursework
#LI-HybridSalary Note:Note: The compensation information listed is a good faith estimate for this position only and is provided pursuant to the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act and Equal Pay Transparency Rules. It is estimated based on what a successful Colorado applicant might be paid. It assumes that the successful candidate will be in Colorado or perform the position from Colorado. Similar positions located outside of Colorado will not necessarily receive the same compensation.Combined Salary Range:USD $74,000.00 - USD $81,000.00 /Yr.Company Overview:
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 12,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran