At Leviton we make innovative products to meet the needs of today’s residential, commercial, and industrial customers globally; providing them with the light, power, and information they need to move forward and do more every day. As a part of Leviton, you’ll join a stable company with over 115 years of history developing products that directly impact everyday lives.Overview:
This position is responsible for applications testing for the support of new product development, sustaining, and competitive product analysis.Responsibilities:
- Requirement Analysis: Analyze the requirements of the product as outlined in the Market Requirement Documents (MRD). MRD’s are typically created from a user’s point-of-view by the client (Product Management), outlining what the product should do. Test Engineers and Design Engineers work closely with each other in this phase to ensure that the product can be readily built and tested.
- Contribute to the Development of a Design Validation Plan and Report (DVP&R): Upon analyzing the requirements and working with the Design Engineers to understanding exactly how they plan on designing the product, Test Engineers and Design Engineer begin creating a DVP. A DVP document that details at a high level all the development, validation, agency, and accelerated life testing required to test a product.
- Writing Test Report (Report Outline): A Report Outline is a set of conditions under which a Test Engineer determines whether a product being tested satisfies requirements and works as intended. A Report Outline typically contains the following information: Purpose, Part Numbers, Construction Details, Associated Documents, Test Equipment Used, Step-by-Step procedure used to execute the test, expected results, actual results, status (Pass or Fail), and Conclusion / Recommendation on the test case or test execution. The Report outline contains detailed test cases that test the functionality, performance, scalability, and compatibility of the product.
- Executing Test Cases: Once a test case has been written and all details and information needed to run a test case have been gathered, the step-by-step test procedures for the test case is then then executed.
- Logging Results: While executing a test case, all results (positive/negative) found are to be logged and brought to the attention of the Development Engineers. Should additional test cases need to be performed, the Design Engineers provide the Test Engineers with the updated version of the product where the test procedures are run again to ensure further compliance or remediation. These are called regression tests as they ensure that changes or additions made to the product do not negatively change any previously existing functionality.
- Preparing Test Reports: A Test Report is a summary of the test case that is prepared after testing for a product is completed. This report is an extremely important deliverable because it explains various details and activities about the testing performed for the project, to the respective stakeholders such as the client and management. This report typically contains a short summary of the purpose of the document, the product overview, scope of testing, test metrics, types of testing performed, test environment and tools, lessons learned, best practices, exit criteria, and a conclusion section.
- Assist Test Lab management as required.
- Provide instruction to test technicians in proper test procedures and safety
- Perform mechanical, electrical and environmental tests on devices in accordance with UL, CSA, IEC and governmental standards; as well internally developed test procedures.
- Perform Design Validation Test (DVT), First Article Inspection Report (FAR), and Product Life Cycle Testing (PLCT), Root Cause Analysis (RCA) through operation, application, and performance testing on new and sustaining products
- Organize the proper calibration and maintenance of meters and equipment
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or related field
- 1 to 3 years’ experience in product and/or materials test engineering is required
- Must have an understanding of Laboratory and safety practices
- Experience in electrical wiring device field preferred
Skills & Abilities
- Must have the ability to use Microsoft Office Suite for Windows
- Basic CAD Skills
- Must be able to read and interpret mechanical drawings, technical procedures, circuit diagrams, schematics, and specifications
- Must have the ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals; ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees
- Must have the ability to determine how products operate and are utilized, including installation
- Must have the ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Must have the ability to work in a highly confidential work environment
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Familiarity with mechanical, electric, and prototyping equipment, such as:
- 3D Printer
- Physical Measurement (Caliper, Micrometer, Vision System)
- Force Gauge
- Milling Machine
- Digital Multi Meter
- Temperature / Humidity Chamber
- Thermocouples and temperature testing
- UV Weathering System
- Less than 5% required