At Saildrone, we sustainably explore, map, and monitor the oceans to understand, preserve, and protect our world. Saildrone provides real-time access to critical data from any ocean on earth, 24/7/365, and uses proprietary software applications to transform that data into actionable insights and intelligence. Saildrone’s fleet of uncrewed surface vehicles (USVs), powered by renewable wind and solar power, have a minimal carbon footprint and operate 24/7/365, without the need for a crewed support vehicle. We work with governments, civil agencies, foundations, universities, and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas—from sailing drones into the eye of a Category 4 hurricane to obtain new scientific storm data, mapping the ocean floor, collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, counting biomass to establish fishing quotas, or detecting and stopping illegal fishing and drug trafficking. As a result of our work, we have been included on Fast Company’s annual list of the “World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2022” and earned the 2022 Ocean Awards’ Innovation Award, presented by the Blue Marine Foundation. Saildrone’s hurricane mission was included as one of the New York Times "Top 21 Things that happened (for the first time) in 2021", and Popular Science's "100 Greatest Innovations of 2021".
We are based in Alameda, CA, with offices in Washington DC, St. Petersburg, FL, and Fall River, MA, and operate our missions worldwide. We are backed by top-tier investors in the frontier-tech and sustainability sectors, including Social Capital, Capricorn, Lux Capital, BOND Capital, and Emerson Collective.
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing team at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
Saildrone is looking for an Embedded Software Engineer to help develop and maintain our Vehicle platforms. This position will work as a part of the Technical Infrastructure team dealing with our vehicle operating system, drivers, sensor integrations and testing labs. Candidates will work closely with an interdisciplinary team to implement and validate features requiring interaction between multiple system components.
- Collaborate across teams to integrate new functionality into the devices
- Configure and modify the kernel and embedded boot loaders
- Work with vendors to support peripherals in the kernel
- Support our hardware in the loop testing environments
- Work closely with Saildrone’s Software Engineering group to implement new features and functionality into our vehicle platforms
- Work cross-functionally with Saildrone’s Operations teams to ensure systems are properly documented and to maintain documentation over time
Required skills and experience
- Experience with embedded computers/micro-controllers (Nvidia Jetson line preferred)
- Experience developing, compiling, and debugging kernel and drivers for embedded Linux
- Strong understanding of computer networking including physical and virtual routing, switching, VPNs, and IP tables
- General working knowledge of storage architectures, and system virtualization
- Passionate about finding and fixing problems
Desired skills and experience
- Experience with Yocto, Bash, and Python scripting
- Experience with Infrastructure as code tooling such as Packer, Terraform, Ansible
- Experience with DevOps philosophies
- Experience deploying and supporting Git CI/CD tooling, pipelines, and automation
- Fluency with build systems (e.g. make, cmake, bazel)
- B.S. in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent experience
Location: This position is in Alameda, CA. Only candidates with proper permits to work in the United States can be considered. Our waterfront office offers beautiful views of San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mix software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar used to film 'The Matrix'.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents.
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced Parental Leave Programs
- Competitive benefits including excellent medical, life insurance, 401k plan
Catch up on the latest news about us:
An Unprecedented View Inside a Hurricane – EOS (May 6, 2022)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
In accordance with Saildrone’s mandatory employee COVID-19 vaccination policy, please be advised that all employees are required to be vaccinated and boosted to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors and the community at large.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.