Cleveland Cliffs, LS&I Railroad located at Eagle Mills in Negaunee, Michigan has immediate openings in our maintenance department for Diesel Electricians. The successful candidates will safely and efficiently perform the inspection, repair and maintenance of the electrical components on diesel electric locomotives. The Electrical Worker is a unionized position and part of the IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers.) Wages, fees and dues are outlined in the collective bargaining agreement.
This position’s current hourly rate: $35.15
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Safely and efficiently performs inspections, service and maintenance of electrical components on locomotives and miscellaneous equipment, including the motor, circuit systems, battery and fuse system in accordance with federal and company regulations, including troubleshooting, repairing, replacing, cleaning and adjusting parts.
- Ensure that all signals, lights and other safety appliances used by employees for protection are properly displayed and used.
- Assemble and start engines.
- Effectively communicate with others, verbally, in writing and reporting, technical information, job procedure recommendations and other work-related information.
- Plan and coordinate work activities, determine equipment needs and develop sequences of steps to get work completed.
- Work safely and efficiently with shop machines, tools and equipment, provided by the company.
- Must have the ability and willingness to understand and apply safety rules, practice safe work habits, identify safety risks and avoid potentially risky behaviors and situations.
- Must work safely and efficiently and not cause a threat to the health and safety of self and others.
- Operate locomotives on shop tracks and test locomotives on shop tracks after repair.
- Understand and ensure compliance with all company, industry, and railroad rules, procedures, practices and regulations for safety, operations and Federal Railroad Administration (FRA).
- Must have the ability to become and remain General Code of Operating Rules (GCOR) qualified.
- Develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with co-workers and supervisors; demonstrates competence, good judgement, integrity, a positive attitude and a character that inspires trust.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent GED
- A completed electrical apprenticeship, 4 years of combined electrical education and work experience in electronics, control systems, AC/DC motors OR 4 years of electrical work experience OR a current journeyman electrical license.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License
- Excellent reading and communication skills
- Position requires the ability to push/pull or lift, exerting up to 70 lbs. and working at heights of 20 feet or more, indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions, with, on and around moving heavy equipment and in confined spaces with occasional exposure to fumes, noise, dust, dirt and vibrations.
- Must utilize personal protective equipment as assigned/required and must become respirator certified.
- Lake Superior and Ishpeming Railroad operates 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. You may be required to work various shifts, overtime, holidays and weekends. Must be available to work all shifts, weekends and holidays.
- All positions require pre-employment background verification, physical and pre-employment drug/alcohol screening.
- Will be subject to CFR Part 219 Control of Alcohol & Drug Use and CFR Part 228 Covered Service Regulations.
- Previous railroad experience preferred.
- Valid CDL for the class and type of equipment operated.
- Ability to certify company equipment in accordance with state standards.
- Experience troubleshooting hydraulic and electronic systems.
- Welding skills.
- Basic computer skills.
Our facilities, located in the heart of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and on the shores of beautiful Lake Superior, offer an area with great schools, reasonably priced homes and an abundance of outdoor recreation and leisure activities such as golf, skiing, hiking, hunting, fishing, ATV/hiking and biking trail systems.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is the largest flat-rolled steel company and the largest iron ore pellet producer in North America. The Company is vertically integrated from mined raw materials, direct reduced iron, and ferrous scrap to primary steelmaking and downstream finishing, stamping, tooling, and tubing. We offer an excellent total compensation package including top pay with variable compensation opportunity, health insurance, retirement plan, education assistance, paid time off and more!.
As a company, we are doing what we can to keep all our employees safe and healthy. It is the current expectation that all Cleveland-Cliffs employees will be vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible. Before accepting an offer of employment you must certify that you are fully vaccinated. Cleveland-Cliffs reserves the right to require proof of vaccination.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-(312) 899-3097 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Do not email your application materials to this email address. Application materials sent to this email address will not be considered.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability. We are a drug-free workplace and conduct pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.