Opportunity to build and lead a small group of Electrical Engineers for one of the most admired medical device companies in the world. Position is on-site in Irvine, CA. Looking for a hands on engineer that can manage 2-6 engineers while being hands on in the lab. Medical device experience is preferred but open to other regulated industries like Aerospace, Military, Automotive, Biotech and Pharma. Open to relocation and H1B transfers. Highly visible role with growth. Apply Today!
The Manager, R&D Electrical Engineering will provide leadership, vision and direction to the electrical engineering group in the development of next-generation ophthalmic surgical equipment. This person will drive functional excellence in electrical engineering and develop a diverse team of engineers who will deliver leading technology and products to market.
You and your team will architect innovative electrical systems for our groundbreaking ophthalmic platforms which include laser vision correction, cataract surgery, occular surface disease, and other emerging surgical systems. Controls and interfaces include motors, lasers, fluidics, pneumatics, audio, and other transducers. You' ll improve healthcare by working directly with surgeons and hearing patient stories, and find the best mix of design, simulation, and hands-on work in the lab.
- Drive a culture of excellence in engineering, characterized by deep technical competence, creativity, rigorous analysis, data-driven decision making, and collaboration.
- Manage a group of highly skilled electrical engineers in the development of innovative electronic designs including simulation, fabrication, testing, debugging, and system integration.
- Hands-on design, integration, and problem-solving.
- Collaborate with systems, firmware, software, mechanical engineering, and verification groups to architect new systems, define system design specifications, risk analysis, and testing plans.
- Direct activities to ensure new product development activities are achieved within agreed upon scope, timeline, and budget.
- Manage external vendors or contractors to deliver subsystems that meet design specification and reliability targets.
- Be a subject matter expert for the organization, technical lead on projects, and mentor/coach to engineers
- Understand disease states, treatments, and unmet patient and customer needs
- Research and stay ahead of emerging technology, industry, and regulatory trends to build a competitive advantage
- Protect intellectual property by writing invention disclosures and supporting patent applications
- Maintain bill-of-material (BOM) documentation and assist with cost optimization, supplier selection, and end-of-life mitigation for complex electrical systems
- Monitor and ensure compliance with internal and external requirements (e.g. compliance with FDA regulations, etc.).
- Recruit, coach and develop organizational talent. Foster a diverse and inclusive workplace that enables all participants to contribute to their full potential.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
- A Bachelors’ degree in electrical engineering or equivalent is required, Advanced Degree is preferred.
- 8+ years’ experience with increasing responsibility including management of teams, functional groups, and/or projects is required.
- 4+ years’ experience in R&D and product development is required.
- Proficiency with tools for schematic capture, printed circuit board layout, simulation, and laboratory measurements is required.
- Experience developing medical device equipment is preferred.
- Experience designing for and leading products through electrical compliance testing is preferred.
- Experience with communication protocols and embedded software is preferred.
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Ability to travel up to 15%, international and domestic is required.
Sean has over 8 years’ experience with Mattson Resources and over 20 years in executive search, technical recruiting, and staffing. With a Bachelor’s in Business Administration and a concentration in Human Resources as well as 16 years agency experience and 4 years corporate in staffing – Sean and his team can assist in all areas of search for your hiring needs. In agency search, Sean has led teams and recruiting services for Engineering, Sciences, IT, Skilled Labor, Operations, Supply Chain, Operational Excellence and more for Medical Device, Pharma, Aerospace, Automotive, Distribution, Transportation, IT Services, Software, Food & Beverage, Retail, and Consumer Products. In 2021 Sean oversaw Mattson Resources expansion and opening of a satellite office in Corona, CA.