Estimating numerous construction projects, able to work with government personnel on estimates, design reviews, and plans. Must be able to reach out to vendors for costing and material ETA’s. Ability to work with all trade SME’s with the estimating processes. This position is covered under the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Prepares complete sets of complex drawings which include multiple views, detail drawings, and assembly drawings. Drawings include complex design features that require considerable drafting skill to visualize and portray. Assignments regularly require the use of mathematical formulas to draw land contours or to compute weights, center of gravity. load capacities, dimensions, quantities of material, etc. Works from sketches, models, and verbal information supplied by an engineer, architect, or designer to determine the most appropriate views, detail drawings, and supplementary information needed to complete assignments. Selects required information from precedents, manufacturers' catalogs, and technical guides. Independently resolves most of the problems encountered. Supervisor or design originator may suggest methods of approach or provide advice on unusually difficult problems. Typical assignments include:
- From layouts or sketches, prepares complete sets of drawings of test equipment to be manufactured. Several cross-sectional and subassembly drawings are required. From information supplied by the design originator and from technical handbooks and manuals, describes dimensions, tolerances, fits, fabrication techniques, and standard parts to use in manufacturing the equipment.
- From electronic schematics, information as to maximum size, and manuals giving dimensions of standard parts, determines the arrangement and prepares drawing of printed circuit boards.
- From precedents, drafting standards, and established practices, prepares final construction drawings for floodgates, navigation locks, dams, bridges, culverts, levees, channel excavations, dikes and berms; prepares boring profiles, typical cross-sections, and land profiles; and delineates related topographical details as required.
- Prepares final drawings for street paving and widening or for water and sewer lines having complex trunk lines; reduces field notes and calculates true grades. From engineering designs, lays out plan, profile and detail appurtenances required; and notifies supervisor of conflicting details in design.
- Excludes drafter performing work of similar difficulty to that described at this level but who provide support for a variety of organizations which have widely differing functions or requirements.
- Must possess a valid driver's license, without special restrictions.
- Must have dependable transportation and a dependable means of communication.
- Must be able speak, write, read, and understand English.
- Must have a well-mannered customer service attitude.
- Must be willing to cross-train in other areas.
- Must use “down-time” effectively to the benefit of test, self, and company.
- Must be punctual, responsible, and dependable.
- Must demonstrate motivation, initiative, and reliability.
- Must be adaptable, flexible, and able to adjust to new or changing instructions.
- Must have a demonstrated ability to follow instructions and company policy.
- Must be able to deliver quality products to the customer and be responsive to their needs.
- Must be safety and security conscious, complying with rules and policies.
- Must be able to work both as part of a team and independently.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Experience in Winest estimating program
- Experience in AUTOCAD
- Experience with General Fund Enterprise Business System (GFEBS)
- Experience with a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) such as MAXIMO
Terms of Employment & Eligibility Requirements:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and not hold multiple citizenships.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a security clearance prior to employment and maintain security clearance for the duration of employment.
- Must be a current SMS employee or affiliate subcontractor for internal postings.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screening and physical and periodic retests.
- Must be able to wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for work tasks assigned.
- Must be capable of working in extreme weather conditions including summer temperatures peaking around 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
- Wellness Resources