Director, TCR Discovery
Our emerging biotechnology client focused on innovative methods of discovering TCRs specific to building a "best in class" therapy platform for development of solid tumor therapies is looking to add a Director, of TCR Discovery to their Seattle, WA team.
We are looking for a Biologist who will serve as a Director, TCR Discovery, responsible for building and leading a team of scientists to:
1) generate, optimize, and characterize novel TCRs specific for oncogenic driver mutations.
2) develop novel synthetic biology strategies to increase T cell fitness and overcome immunosuppression
3) execute IND-enabling studies.
The successful candidate will have a strong track record in supporting talent development through both direct mentoring and serving as a role model. The individual should have experience developing and executing experimental design and R&D strategy for TCR-engineered T cell therapies.
Requirements also include:
A deep understanding of cell therapy, from project conception through IND-enabling studies.
The ability to apply innovative research approaches to provide scientific insights, and critical thinking required for novel and under-explored biology that will allow the candidate to be influential across the entire organization.
Outstanding expertise in Immuno-Oncology associated with a comprehensive understanding of the pharmaceutical industry with depth and breadth of knowledge within the cell therapy field including but not limited to research, clinical therapeutic landscape, and clinical drug development.
The candidate will be a key leader to work with the leadership/founders to align on innovation to take forward from early concept to preclinical validation and clinical testing.
This leader will need to be highly independent with outstanding communication and interpersonal skills and have the mindset to inspire and motivate people in the company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Build and lead a team of scientists to generate, optimize and characterize novel TCRs specific for target epitopes.
- The successful candidate will have a strong track record in supporting talent development through mentoring and serving as a role model.
- Design, execute and critically analyze in vitro experiments to develop and characterize TCR-engineered T cell therapy products
- Able to independently manage their workload, design and supervise bench activities to drive novel research strategies
- Able to manage project timelines and perform time sensitive experiments to drive discovery programs accordingly with departmental, functional and external stakeholders
- Apply recent developments in cell therapy-related novel technologies to design and create the next generation cell therapy platforms
- Plans and implement resolutions to technical problems/issues
- Serves as a technical resource for junior staff and leverages expertise in laboratory technology as a functional resource/trainer
- Drive multiple projects in parallel while working with key internal stakeholders.
- Is a key leader in working with the founders to align on innovation and strategy.
- The leader is highly independent with outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Accountable for the development of culture and capabilities within the TCR Discovery team
Desired and Required Qualifications
Education and Experience:
- PhD. in biology with 8+ years relevant industry experience and 3+ years of managerial experience.
- Is highly knowledgeable in Immunology/Cell Therapy area, from target identification through to late preclinical research.
- Has a proven track record of leading multi-disciplinary research programs as evidenced by publication or patent filings.
- Is highly creative, collaborative and thrives in a dynamic environment.
- Expertise in mouse and human T cell isolation, culture, engineering and complex cell-based assays for functional characterization of immune therapies.
- Expertise in flow cytometry and molecular biology assays.
The successful candidate will have the following attributes
- Ability to work independently, generate, analyze and interpret data with scientific rigor and open mind
- Able to troubleshoot critical issues or problems, and determine causes and possible solutions
- Subject matter expertise and knowledge of applicable lab equipment and operations
- Exercises good time management and prioritization skills and can successfully manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work well in a highly cross-functional team environment
- Is very comfortable working with their team members in the laboratory
- Is highly creative, collaborative, and thrives in a dynamic matrix environment
- Proven skills as an effective team player who can engender credibility and confidence within and outside the company
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including writing, reviewing and editing scientific documents and presenting to a range of stakeholders, as well as scientific posters or lectures at professional conferences or events