Our client’s mission is to simplify information technology so customers can focus on what is most important to them: their customers, patients, students, and businesses. Through our clients work, they serve hundreds of millions of people every day.
As Director of Engineering for Backend Cloud Services, you will lead engineering teams responsible for the core components of our clients cloud that support customer network access, data collection, and distributed systems. Leading teams based in San Francisco and London, you will help frame and execute against a platform vision that will ensure the scalability and reliability of these systems to stay ahead of our rapid growth. Our devices are some of the most popular in the world, and this popularity brings interesting large scalability challenges: our globally-distributed backend systems handle tens of billions of requests daily, 24/7/365.
- Manage engineering teams responsible for core components of of our clients cloud that support customer network access, data collection, and distributed systems.
- Lead the engineering teams in migrating from on premise to the public cloud (AWS)
- Responsible for re-architecting the clients data pipeline.
- 12+ years of experience in software development, particularly in distributed systems, networking, databases, and/or data processing frameworks, with 7+ of those years in management or technical leadership roles
- Managed organizations of 15+ engineers including managing managers
- Experience working with systems at scale (i.e. billions of transactions per day)
- Experience building a cloud product that has been shipped to consumers.
- Architecture experience with AWS.
- Awareness of the latest trends in large scale distributed systems and data processing frameworks combined with a healthy dose of skepticism about jumping on the next shiny thing
- Experience leading and building trust with remote & distributed teams
- The ability to influence, facilitate discussion, and work in partnership with other teams
- Product/project management skills and an understanding of how to balance product requests against internal priorities
- Experience in an agile environment
- Demonstrated ability to grow and mentor teams as well as lead them through change
- Experience working in hybrid cloud environments
Submit resume to
Location: Bay Area OR East Coast locations