FRES-CO SYSTEM USA, INC.
PACKAGING EQUIPMENT DEPARTMENT
PACKAGING EQUIPMENT DEPARTMENT – JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Controls Engineer
Department: Packaging Equipment Department
Location: (PA) Telford, PA
(Engineering Manager, Packaging Equipment Department)
SUMMARY OF POSITION PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop control systems for automated packaging equipment built by a prominent packaging machinery OEM
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Skill / Knowledge:
- Track record of creating machine PLC programs using Rockwell Automation / Allen Bradley RSLogix / Studio 5000 software
- Ability to read and troubleshoot existing PLC logic to resolve complex problems and/or optimize machine performance
- Experience with servo motion control techniques used in aforementioned software
- Knowledge of industrial electronic panel design / layout
- Proficiency in creating electrical schematics using 2D CAD software
- Ability to create user interface software for use on common industrial HMI’s
- Very strong electrical troubleshooting background
- Moderate to high level of mechanical aptitude
- Understanding of engineering units, concepts of physics
- Experience building complex electrical panels and wiring devices from detailed electrical schematics
- Strong attention to detail
- Strict adherence to standards, structure
- Superior quality of workmanship
- Solid judgment with minimal supervision or work direction
- Strong communication / interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage numerous requests, both internal to Fres-co and external (customer coordination)
- Working knowledge of packaging machinery (especially VFFS equipment) (preferred, not required)
- Knowledge of food safety / GMP’s / process equipment / aseptic packaging / coffee industry (preferred, not required)
Experience / Education Requirements:
- High School diploma or GED certificate
- 4-year engineering degree preferred, (2 year technical college degree plus technical work experience can be substituted)
- 3+ years of experience in a manufacturing / production environment
- 3+ years of experience writing and troubleshooting code with the following software is required: RSLogix / Studio 5000, FactoryTalk
- Experience with the following software is preferred: AutoCAD, AutoCAD Electrical, Siemens SIMATIC, Wonderware, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word
- Experience with customer interaction (at all levels of the customer organization: shop floor to executive)
Physical Effort and Dexterity:
- Must be able to climb in, onto, over existing packaging equipment in order to assess the machine.
- Must be able to completely survey a customer facility for efficiency opportunities, including, ladders, stairs, roof access, basement access, etc.
- Must be able to sustain long periods of standing in production facilities.
- Must be able to operate an automobile, have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to operate a PC keyboard and telephone.
Visual Acuity, Hearing, Speaking:
- Must be able to speak, write and understand English proficiently.
- Working knowledge of Italian is desirable, but not necessary.
- Must be able to see clearly enough to safely navigate customer and Fres-co industrial sites and assess equipment.
Environment and Scheduling:
- Must be able to tolerate temperature extremes when assessing customer plants and equipment. Conditions are typical of southern USA cities, with non-air conditioned industrial locations (very hot and humid). Several customers are also located in Canada, and winter conditions are sometimes extremely cold and dry.
- This position will require limited overnight travel, both domestic and international. We estimate an average of 10 – 20% travel. Travel will be divided between automobile trips and air travel.
- Normal work week is Monday through Friday, with occasional weekends depending upon project work load.
KEY JOB DUTIES
- Perform detailed design of control systems for complex machines, specifying all electrical components (power distribution, PLC, I/O, motion control, communications, sensors, wiring, etc.).
- Create electrical schematics and panel layouts using 2D CAD software (AutoCAD).
- Write PLC and HMI software to operate these machines.
- Implement hardware and software modifications to existing equipment in order to improve capabilities. efficiency, reliability, performance, etc.
- Document all designs and engineering decisions for future reference (CAD, BOM’s, calculations, etc.).
- Provide Fres-co technicians with sufficient documentation to allow proper assembly.
- Supervise the electrical assembly process and note problem areas. Assist with wiring as needed.
- Assist with machine debug, acceptance testing, installation, and troubleshooting (both in-person / hands-on and remotely).
- Interface with sales, customers, field service, and R&D for all stages of the project.
- Provide technical assistance to customers / Fres-co technicians (occasionally outside of normal working hours).
- Interface with vendors and purchasing department in order to obtain quotations, necessary parts, and ensure quality.
- Provide technical feedback to sales / management with regards to feasibility, cost, etc.
- Help maintain organized file system for engineering documents (programs, drawings, manuals, etc.).
- Contribute to the creation of service manuals.
- Assist with software license maintenance duties.
- Share technical knowledge with customers and Fres-co personnel in both formal and informal training settings.
- Submit regular progress reports / trip reports.
- Participate in other business functions (cost estimates, development of engineering standards, continuous improvement efforts, scheduling, safety audits, etc.).
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by your supervisors or managers to perform other duties. Fres–co has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or Fres–co may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.