Set-up, program and Operate C.N.C. machinery to perform machining operations on metal work pieces to specific specifications. Responsible for maintaining quality and safety standards, housekeeping, process integrity, monitoring of calibration of all measuring equipment used and monitoring machinery and tools to ensure safe correct and optimum performance, while maintaining professional conduct in the workplace.
- Get job assignment and communicate with the previous operator briefly, before the beginning of the shift.
- Install preset jobs and setup tooling, fixturing and machinery when needed.
- Before starting the machine, perform a quick check to ensure that safe and correct operations of the machine is possible.
- Verify the paperwork, print number, revision levels, operation sequence, materials, program and check sheet are all correct and consistent.
- To insure that the check sheet dimensions are consistent with the print, run the first set of parts and check the parts dimensions against the print. Sign off first piece inspection on work order.
- Program, set up and run jobs in an efficient, organized and safe manner, meeting or exceeding the hourly rate, while following the work instructions on the print and/or work order sequence. Must clock in and out of the work order and sequence.
- Maintain the work flow and perform quality audits as required to ensure that the product meets or exceeds the customer specifications.
- Deburr parts following the work instructions on the work order sequence or on the print.
- Make adjustments as required, with proper authorization.
- Change worn or broken tooling using appropriate procedures.
- Perform the duties of the palletizer or presetter when needed. Also, fill in during the absence of a senior setup operator as required.
- Job Complexity: Works on assignments that are complex in nature and requires considerable judgment in resolving problems. May make recommendations.
- Supervisory Responsibility: Receives no instructions on work. Works independently on all assignments.
- Contacts/Interaction: Frequently works with peers and occasionally interfaces with management.
- Decision Making : Has high level decision making responsibility. Failure to make accurate decisions or achieve results will seriously impact the overall company’s success. Has few/none resources available to make decisions.
- Educational Background (minimum level needed to perform) and/or Previous Work Experience (minimal level years and what kind)
High School diploma or equivalent, plus 3-4 years of manufacturing experience.
Plus, minimum of one year experience, setting up and operating vertical or horizontal c.n.c. machinery.
Previous experience operating under OSHA safety rules and procedures.
Previous experience maintaining quality standards, meeting or exceeding customer specifications.
- Special Skills and Abilities (computer, language, interpersonal skills, etc.)
Advanced Blue Print Reading
Advanced Shop Math
Strong understanding of c.n.c. control functions and “g” and “m” codes.
Strong understanding of programming.
Strong understanding of tooling and fixturing design.
Ability to read write and comprehend complex work instructions and communications. Basic understanding and comprehension of technical language tools and specifications.