Reporting to the Executive Vice President, the Chief Operating Officer will be responsible for managing day-to-day nationwide operations including, but not limited to sales and business development, customer service, production, product development, and finance. With full P&L accountability, the COO will lead the development and execution of plans to meet business and financial goals and provide leadership and guidance to the full organization. The COO has broad leadership over the business and will be expected to develop efficiencies across operating activities, drive new product development, and build sales and marketing capabilities that support growth goals. As a trusted partner to the EVP, s/he will influence strategic direction by communicating performance and identifying new competitive advantages, solutions to customer problems, or market opportunities.
The ideal candidate will be a commercially inclined individual who understands technology, is a strong people and team leader, and has a track record of driving operational excellence in a high-growth business. Given the critical nature of this position relative to the future of the business, the COO will have the potential to grow as a viable successor to the EVP. This is a unique and exciting opportunity for an experienced, tech-savvy executive to join an established and growing business with industry-leading capabilities and a reputation for excellence.Responsibilities:
General Management | Business Performance
- Oversight of full day-to-day operations including, but not limited to sales, customer service, marketing, production, product development, and finance.
- Manage all operational processes and procedures in a manner that continuously adapts and improves to meet customer expectations, industry requirements, and business growth.
- Lead the planning process to ensure infrastructure and technologies are maintained and appropriate investments are made to remain at the forefront of the industry.
- Development and oversight of operational budgets and financial performance.
- Prepare and regularly communicate detailed operational and management reports that show meaningful metrics, progress, and insights on performance, issues, and opportunities.
- Ensure company is in compliance with various agencies, regulations, and agreements.
- Lead corporate marketing initiatives that build upon brand awareness and support sales, growth, and expansion goals in both new and existing markets.
- Drive growth and market expansion strategies, with appropriate attention on long-range issues and timely attention to immediate short-term issues.
Organizational | Team Leadership
- Serve as a hands-on and visible leader who actively “gets to know” the operations, capabilities, and people in the company and across locations.
- Build, maintain, and motivate a high-performance management team with the technical skills and personal attributes to support business goals and strategies.
- Lead the organization with a focus on developing strengths, minimizing talent gap risks, and ensuring strong succession plans are in place for critical functions.
- Regularly engage customers and seek feedback on how products / services can help them better serve their customers. Focus on solutions, not problems.
- Initiate and build relationships with business partners, industry contacts, and potential customers, such as commercial building owners, property managers, tenants, and real estate developers.
- Build positive brand awareness in the industry and business communities by representing the company as a respected and credible leader at relevant events and organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters and/or additional relevant training or certification preferred.
- 15+ years of progressive experience with at least 5 years in a senior executive role, preferably in a comparable technology/software service company.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of all facets of an access control business.
- Knowledge and relationships in the commercial real estate & construction market.
- Track record of learning and adopting new technologies to improve business performance.
- Strong commercial instincts - knows how to grow a business and expand customer base.
- Proven operational leader with a track record of using metrics, processes, and tools to make sustainable, measurable improvements.
- Experience managing a team of software developers, from design to implementation and support
- Demonstrated ability to hire and lead collaborative, cross-functional management teams.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate a wide range of positive professional relationships.
- Proven ancillary business skills including deal-making, negotiations, and contract development.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Experience in a privately held or family-owned business desirable.