The Clinic Medical Office Assistant is responsible for the efficiency of clinic operations and for facilitating effective use of physicians’ time. Ensures the cleanliness and safety of clinical areas; maintains stock of necessary supplies, and equipment; and prepares patient for exam. Provides clinical assistance to the physicians as well as provide support to front office staff. Prepares referrals and schedules patients for diagnostic tests. Promotes a cooperative environment for patients and personnel. Access to demographic information and limited Patient Health Information related to job function
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC DUTIES:
- Room patients, take and document vital signs, and assist provider with medical exam. Evaluate patients for immediate medical need and report to provider.
- Adhere to DRMC’s Service Standards and ICON’s Practice Standards
- Perform accurate charting, assessments, and intervention and follow-up per scope of practice.
- Use AIDET at all times with interactions with patients while rooming, patient complaints, history, and pertinent comments.
- Administer medications and perform procedures per scope of licensure and per provider order.
- Prepares exam room with appropriate equipment, instruments, & supplies prior to exam
- Monitors back office supplies and restocks exam rooms daily. Assist with inventory maintenance and report supply shortages to back office supervisor. Assists with unpacking, stocking of supplies delivered
- Assist in completing forms (I.E- insurance forms, workers comp, disability, etc)
- Maintains all chart material in electronic medical record. X-rays, operative reports, path reports, etc.
- Assists with front office as needed and as patient flow permits
- Schedule follow-up appointments, surgeries, and procedures as necessary as it pertains to patient flow
- Covers for absentee employees as necessary
- Maintain cleanliness and sterilization of instruments, exam rooms, and all treatment areas (ie. surgery, lab, cast room, etc.) as needed or directed. Prepare everything for the next day the night before.
- Follow current policies and procedures for labeling and collection of all specimens, using appropriate media.
- Maintain current knowledge of medications, sterile technique, and policies and procedures.
- Maintain current licenses/certificates.
- Assist provider to complete e & m coding and charging in a timely and accurate manner.
- Dispose of contaminated/non-contaminated sharps in the appropriate disposal container. Access and interpret needed information from facility MSDS book or MSDS on-line in a prompt manner.
- Respond to and participate in all clinical emergencies and maintenance of emergency equipment.
- Adhere to infection control, universal precautions, and use of personal protective equipment as needed for all patient care procedures, maintenance of equipment, and disposal of waste.
- Receives telephone calls regarding patients prescriptions, pulls patients charts, routes to physician, contact pharmacies. Use e-prescribing in electronic medical record as main system with last resort to faxing clinical information. Log all prescription refills and new prescriptions in patients electronic health record