Main responsibilities of a cashier: Must have open availability and be able to work a flexible schedule.
● Providing exceptional service to each customer
● Accepting payments and providing receipts
● Bagging purchased goods
● Managing transactions, making sure pricing is accurate
Cashier Job Description:
We are looking for a qualified and responsible cashier to manage all transactions with our customers efficiently and accurately.
A good job candidate is a person who knows their way around a cash register and can easily operate it, together with a product scanner. Their main responsibilities include accepting payments and providing receipts, making sure all transactions run smoothly and every customer is satisfied with the service.
The cashier we would like to employ must be able to interact with our customers in a friendly manner, and provide assistance should any customer require it. Excellent communication skills are paramount to help us continue to delight our customers and provide them with an outstanding experience.
A qualified candidate must also be able to follow instructions and be a successful member of our team. Previous experience is an advantage, and solid math and multitasking skills are a must.
Responsibilities of a Cashier:
● Greeting customers when entering and leaving the premises
● Managing transactions using a cash register
● Balancing the cash register
● Scanning goods and making sure pricing and quantities are accurate
● Accepting payments in cash, credit, vouchers, automatic debits, or check
● Providing change and receipts
● Issuing coupons, vouchers, stamps and gift cards
● Processing returns and refunds, and resolving customer complaints
● Bagging and wrapping purchased goods for safe transport
● Upselling and cross-selling when appropriate
● Maintain clean and orderly checkout areas
● Complete other general duties, such as mopping flors, emptying trash cans, filling candy/gum racks, cleaning restrooms, cleaning shelves, inc.
Cashier Job Requirements:
● Must have at least a high school degree
● Experience with POS systems and cash registers
● Basic computer knowledge
● Good math skills
● Excellent communication skills
● Must be able to work nights, holidays and weekends
Ability to effectively resolve complaints
May be asked to carry 50 lbs. for a length of 20 feet
May need to be able to push 50 lbs.
May need to be able to pull 50 lbs.
Must be able to bend, squat, climb and lift objects overhead
Must be able to tolerate temperature differentials
Must be able to work nights, holidays and weekends
Benefits are offered to all Full-time employees. Full-time benefits include: Health, dental and vision insurance, Long and Short Term Disability, Individual and Family Life Insurance, Medical Bridge Insurance, Cancer Insurance, Paid Vacation and Paid Holidays, Retirement benefits through our Employee Stock Ownership Plan, Flexible Scheduling, and Advancement Opportunities.
Houchens Industries was originally founded in Glasgow, Kentucky by Ervin G. Houchens in 1917 as Houchens Foods.
A century later, Houchens Industries operates more than 400 retail grocery, convenience, and neighborhood market stores across 16 states. Complemented by a strong foundation of diverse companies and 18,000 employees corporate-wide, Houchens Industries is listed by Forbes as one of the largest 100% employee-owned companies in the world.