JOB TITLE: Assistant Project Manager FLSA Exempt
- Primary Function
The Assistant Project Manager is responsible to help the Project Manager plan, develop, execute and manage all functions of a specific project. These may include, but is not limited to: project cost control, forecasting, contract administration issues, subcontractor agreement administration, etc.
The Assistant Project Manager needs to work closely with the Project Manager, Superintendent, Project Engineer and subcontractors as he will play a key role in the success of the job. He/she needs to have complete control over the project’s cost, schedule, contracts, risks and human resources.
- Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists his/her leader in managing the relationship among several project areas, such as engineering, procurement, construction and installation, risk analysis and administration.
- Assists the Project Manager to monitor the project performance and follows up on the implementation of necessary corrective measures.
- Coordinates with project engineers all changes and modifications on project drawings and communicates them to the team. Assistant Project Managers must help and teach Project Engineers correctly read drawings an interpret these changes.
- Assists the Project Manager with the project’s schedule, its baseline and subsequent updates.
- Assists during subcontract agreement negotiations and, at any time, might have to lead such negotiations.
- Assists the Project Manager during change orders negotiation with the Owner and Subcontractors.
- Provides frequent reports to the Project Manager on possible cost overruns so that the latter can successfully control the project’s budget.
- Oversees the Project Engineer while the latter compiles all subcontractors’ payment applications so that the Project Manager can submit the Owner’s Payment Application on an accurate and timely manner.
- Responsible to oversee all submittals, daily reports, RFI’s, meeting minutes and safety reports.
- Ensures that project procedures are consistent with corporate philosophy.
- Performs additional assignments per supervisor’s direction.
Ill. Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum experience of three years in the construction industry, of which at least three years as an Assistant Project Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or a related field.
- Advanced degree and/or training in management desired.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be acceptable.
lV. Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to coordinate the interaction of all project functions, such as engineering, procurement, construction and installation, and risk analysis and administration in all kinds of contracts.
- Strong analytical, interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to supervise personnel.
- Excellent communication skills, with ability to express ideas clearly and objectively, orally and in writing.
- Fluency in Spanish preferred.
- Ability to develop Project Management plan and perform according to agreed plans with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency in MS Office, ProCore, AutoCAD, Microsoft Project 2016 and On Screen Takeoff.
- Knowledge in Revit and Bluebeam preferred.