Werfen, founded in 1966, is a worldwide developer, manufacturer and distributor of specialized diagnostic instruments, related reagents, automation workcells, and data management solutions for use primarily in hospitals and independent clinical laboratories. The Company’s business lines include Hemostasis, Acute Care, and Autoimmunity diagnostics, as well as Original Equipment Manufacturing. Our success comes from a specific focus in these rapidly evolving diagnostic areas, our commitment to customers, and our dedication to innovation and quality. We’re passionate about providing healthcare professionals the most valuable and complete solutions to improve hospital efficiency and enhance patient care.
Our North American Commercial Operations, as well as our Headquarters and Technology Center for Hemostasis and Acute Care Diagnostics, are based in Bedford, MA. Our Headquarters and Technology Center for Autoimmunity Diagnostics is based in San Diego, CA. Additionally, our Technology Center for Hemostasis and Blood Gas Reagents is in Orangeburg, NY, and our Technology Center for Whole Blood Hemostasis is in San Diego, CA.
Fully competent in one or more scientific/technical areas. Plans and conducts scientific assignments requiring mastery of specialized techniques.Responsibilities:
- Characterization of materials and manufacturing processes
- Designs measurement tools and techniques to characterize material and manufacturing problems
- Willing to work on a broad range of project types (sometimes simultaneously)
- Works collaboratively and cross-functionally with various departments
- Extensive root cause analysis
- Uses engineering principals and scientific expertise to provide solutions to a broad range of difficult problems.
- Handles broad assignments and objectives under minimum supervision.
- Defines short and mid-term objectives and implements plan to accomplish objectives.
- Frequently communicates status updates across the organization.
- Continually broadens professional expertise through comprehensive knowledge of scientific literature and competitive products.
- Solutions are original, thorough and practical.
- May direct the work of other personnel.
- May manage a Materials Characterization Lab
- Willing to learn new tools and techniques
- Willing to educate others on characterization tools and techniques
- Writes reports and technical summaries.
- Maintains good documentation.
- Helps to maintain characterization tools (SEM, Microscopes, Contact Angle System, Flow Cytometer, FTIR, DLS, ICP-MS, Force Tensiometer, Zeta Potential System, etc.)
- May offer solutions that are creative and/or inventive.
Budget managed (if applicable): N/A
Internal Networking/Key relationships:
- To be determined based on department needs
Skills & Capabilities:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with Root Cause Analysis and Failure Analysis
- Familiarity with Characterization Tools and Techniques (Microscopy, Spectroscopy, Spectrometry, Titrations, Electrochemistry, Particle Analysis, Chromatography, etc.)
Min Knowledge & Experience required for the position:
- Duties require broad use and application of scientific principles, theories and concepts in field of expertise. This may be acquired through completion of a Ph.D. degree in a scientific discipline, or equivalent.
- Professional experience is preferred.
International Mobility: Required: no
- Approximately 10%
Werfen appreciates and values diversity. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V
We operate directly in over 30 countries, and in more than 100 territories through distributors. Annual revenue is approximately $2 billion and more than 5,000 employees around the world comprise our Werfen team.