RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT MANAGER - AGRICULTURAL MANUFACTURER
SOIL / PLANT SCIENTIST - PLANT / SEED MANUFACTURER
The R&D Manager (horticulture) is responsible for providing technical leadership for the horticulture business. They are responsible for stimulating innovation, and providing for the delivery of new products to support and grow the business, working within a framework of exploiting both in-house and external technology opportunities. They will work to identify potential collaborations from across the seed industry relevant technology sources and academia identifying and pursuing potential patent and/or license opportunities. They will maintain a keen interest in developing technologies and trends in the seeds industry and ensure that these are appreciated across the business.
- Manages and directs the research and development programs to meet organizational needs and to capitalize on potential new products. Develops and implements research and development procedures and techniques. Oversees complex research projects, analyses results and provides recommendations based on findings. Assesses the scope of the research projects and ensures they are on time and within budget. May require an advanced degree. Typically reports to a head of unit/director. Manages subordinate staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs. True first level manager. Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets. Has full authority for personal actions. Extensive knowledge of department processes. Typically requires 5 years’ experience in the related area as an individual contributor.
- Provide leadership for the research and development of new seed treatments and enabling technologies for the improvement of germination and vigour of seeds, ensuring that these are aligned with business seeds.
- Provide management and guidance for the R&D group within horticulture business, setting goals and objectives and conducting periodic performance reviews of direct reports.
- Provide development opportunities for staff to progress and add value to the business with a view to building a coherent succession plan.
- Drive development for new and improved products from concept to commercialization (including but not limited to- formal costing, process capacity, training operators and working with QA to develop SOPs and product/process specifications).
- Manage Technical direction of projects – identify key deliverables, next steps and communicating to the management and also R&D team members.
- Coordinate and deliver sample requests for sales team and provide technical support for new and existing product introductions. Identify opportunities for Process Development and improvement to reduce labor, reduce cost and improve quality and productivity at the plant.
- Ensure proper scientific rigour is applied to work carried out within the R&D group.
- Champion the role of R&D within the business and externally to customers in collaboration with Business Development.
- Ensure communication and transfer of technical knowledge to manufacturing team to allow large scale application of new technologies is carried out in a timely and rigorous manner.
- Responsible for supporting manufacturing on technical issues and process problems. Work closely with operations to periodically review manufacturing processes to ensure that maximum efficiencies are being achieved through all processes.
- Establish and accurate budget for R&D site and adhere to it.
- Manage specific projects within specified timescales following the PMO process with rigour.
Bachelors or M.S Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Earth science, Plant Science, Plant Physiology, or related
Minimum of 5 years of direct supervision of scientists and technical staff
Seed Physiology, plant pathology, agronomy experience highly desired
Leads department or senior teams, potentially diverse in nature. Responsible for the strategic development of a range of roles. Defines structure of department or team. Proposes department structure to meet strategic goals.
$110K - $140K + Bonus + Benefits + Retirement