Every day, tens of millions of people come to Roblox to explore, create, play, learn, and connect with friends in 3D immersive digital experiences– all created by our global community of developers and creators.
At Roblox, we’re building the tools and platform that empower our community to bring any experience that they can imagine to life. Our vision is to reimagine the way people come together, from anywhere in the world, and on any device.We’re on a mission to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and looking for amazing talent to help us get there.
A career at Roblox means you’ll be working to shape the future of human interaction, solving unique technical challenges at scale, and helping to create safer, more civil shared experiences for everyone.
At Roblox, an understanding and measurement of users and creators' experience is important to Roblox's expansion. The experimentation platform is promoting Roblox's success by empowering other teams at Roblox to use data and experiments to improve user acquisition, engagement, and retention.
We are building an industry-leading platform and tools that allow other teams and our developers to run and automatically analyze experiments at scale. As the Principal Engineer on experimentation, you will lead the evolution and scaling of the experimentation platform. With over 50 million daily users (and growing!), the platform must scale to serve over 1M QPS. We are looking for an experienced engineer that's passionate about designing and building scalable systems for both online serving and offline analysis.
Our team's product will act as the interface between those defining experiments and the results of the variants across the Roblox experimentation platform. Scale is of the utmost importance as Roblox continues its development of our world class experimentation data platform.
- A solid programmer with skills with compiled languages such as C#, Go, Java, C++, or others.
- Someone who has designed and built backend platform systems that can handle over 1M QPS.
- Knowledgeable with REST, API design patterns, and scalable containerized systems and micro-services.
- Data-driven focused on quality metrics and monitoring.
- An experienced backend engineer with 8+ years of work experience.
- A B.Sc. equivalent in CS or sufficient experience.
You May Have:
- Experience in building experimentation platforms serving millions of users.
- Experience building and tuning Spark workflows at TB scale.
- Experience in SQL and an understanding of how queries are processed by the data warehouse or database.
- Help scale our online experiment serving flow to 100x scale.
- Design the experiment creation and analysis flows for the next generation of internal and external customers.
- Partner with our experimentation platform team to build our experimentation request and data processing workflow.
- Design a scalable serving model to support novel experimentation strategies (like crossovers, community-based enrollment, and multi-armed bandits).
- Help build a reliable serving flow to support experiments and feature rollouts.
- Help design a scalable data model to support the experimental analysis and reporting.
- Report into the Growth Organization.
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.