PSEG Company: Public Service Electric & Gas Co.
Salary Range: $ 27.57 - $ 57.72
Incentive: Not applicable
Work Location Category: Onsite
PSEG operates under a Flexible Work Model where flexible work is offered when job requirements allow. In support of this model, roles have been categorized into one of four work location categories: onsite roles, hybrid roles that are a blend of onsite and remote work, remote local roles that are primarily home-based but require some level of purpose-driven in-person interaction and living within a commutable distance, and remote non-local roles that can be effectively performed remotely with the ability to work in approved states.
PSEG offers a unique experience to our more than 12,000 employees – we provide the resources and opportunities for career development that come with being a Fortune 500 company, as well as the attention, camaraderie and care for one another you might typically associate with a small business. Our focus on combatting climate change through clean energy technology, our new net zero climate vision for 2030 and enhanced commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion; and supporting the communities we serve make this a particularly exciting time to join PSEG.
Consistent with our core commitment of safety, PSEG has made the decision to require all new hires to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated as a condition of hire. "Full vaccination" is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a disability can request a reasonable accommodation.
As the employee becomes qualified through acquired experience and training performs the work required in the construction, operation, maintenance, and removal of transmission and distribution lines on wood poles, including work on iron poles, isolated towers and mats or vaults, which may be energized but not above 13-kV primary distribution voltage. Check general operation of assigned vehicle and associated equipment. Perform other similar or less skilled work of the occupational group. Respond to off hour work (i.e., schedule and call out / standby for regular work and storms and may be required to work shifts outside the normal workday filling in for Trouble-shooters in operations).
*Sign on bonus available for qualified applicants who successfully complete the pre-employment process and meet the time requirement for bonus eligibility.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Duties included, but not limited to the followin
- Performs work on de-energized lines and assists Linemen/Linewomen on energized secondary lines.
- Transfer construction, change insulators, cross arms, pins, and make other similar repairs on energized 13kV pole line transmission circuits Construct, install, remove and maintain items such as, but not limited to: Poles, crossarms, guy wires, and line hardware.
- Install, sag, remove and maintain line conductors including splicing, tapping, and the making of dead ends; install, remove and maintain messengers; install and remove aerial cables and cable laterals on poles.
- Trim trees.
- Make complete inspections of construction performing such work as tighten hardware, tie in conductors, and change insulators and pins.
- Make voltage and load tests on energized distribution circuits or equipment.
- Locate faults on 13 and 26 kV transmission and on distribution circuits, including associated equipment.
- Under the supervision of an engineer or supervisor, make special tests on distribution equipment and phase-out or parallel distribution circuits and equipment.
- Perform any work required on isolated towers, install, remove and maintain distribution, 13 and 26 kV conductors and accessories on tower lines.
- Serve as Troubleshooter
- Replace secondary fuses on poles or on customers’ installations.
- Perform other similar or less skilled work of the occupational group.
- Must meet the Company's "General Requirements"; and in addition:
- Applicants need to have successfully completed a recognized apprentice program and be a first class journeyman lineperson.
- Must be able to perform maintenance and repair work safely and without causing interruption to service.
- Must have a good practical knowledge of the purpose and functioning of the overhead transmission and distribution system, and the electrical apparatus used in connection therewith; and a general knowledge of the layout of transmission and distribution circuits in the area in which he/she works.
- Must become familiar with the procedure and rules governing the ordering out, tagging and releasing of circuits and the Company's system of circuit designation for identification.
- Must acquire a good working knowledge of the Company's overhead line construction methods and practices.
- Must be proficient in the application of pole top resuscitation, and other approved methods of artificial respiration.
- Must be alert in avoiding accidents and observing hazards.
- Applicants must be approved by the Joint Employee Qualification Committee after passing the written tests and physical assessments, DOT Physical Examination, and Background investigation/ Drug Screening.
- Must be able to follow instructions and perform routine operations.
- Must have mechanical aptitude.
- Must have the physical characteristics to enable him/her to climb and work on structures and poles.
- Know how to read construction prints and make simple field sketches.
- Understand the application of hoists, tackle, and knots used in line construction and maintenance work and the care of tools commonly used in line construction and maintenance work.
- Know how to identify and use all material, tools, and equipment commonly used on line work.
- A valid Class ‘A’ Commercial Driving License (CDL) is preferred but a valid Class ‘B’ CDL candidate (21 years or older) will be considered and must prepare for and pass the Class ‘A’ CDL driving test within the first year of employment.
- Certifications and licenses must be provided
Note: This is a safety-sensitive position. DOT testing is required
Candidates must foster an inclusive work environment and respect all aspects of diversity. Successful candidates must demonstrate and value differences in others' strengths, perspectives, approaches, and personal choices.
As an employee of PSE&G or PSEG LI, you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
Certain positions at the Company may require you to have access to 10 CFR Part 810 controlled information. If the position does require access to this information, the Talent Acquisition representative will provide further details upon making an offer.
PSEG is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment, including the hiring process, based on any legally protected characteristic. Legally protected characteristics include race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in locations where PSEG employs individuals.
Business needs may cause PSEG to cancel or delay filling position at any time during the selection process.
This site (http://www.pseg.com) is strictly for candidates who are not currently PSEG employees. PSEG employees must apply for jobs internally through emPower which can be accessed through sharepoint.pseg.com by clicking on the emPower icon, then selecting careers.
PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES:
PSEG is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability and need assistance applying for a position, please call 973-430-3845 or email email@example.com. If you need to request a reasonable accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Any information provided regarding a disability will be kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with anyone involved in making a hiring decision.
ADDITIONAL EEO/AA INFORMATION (Click link below)
Know your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision