Online Tutor BookNook
BookNook is closing the early-learning gap for kids in grades K – 8 through pairing dedicated tutors with proven technology to teach the reading skills kids need to succeed. School districts across 35 states entrust BookNook tutors and technology with the job of supporting their students who need it most. By providing a learning platform based on 30+ years of research and outcomes and offering high-frequency tutoring, BookNook propels schools to achieve academic results that are unparalleled in the industry.
About the Role
BookNook is looking for passionate, equity-minded educators to join our tutoring community as independent contractors. Tutors will be on the front lines of closing the early-learning gap, working directly with K – 8 students in live, synchronous, online tutoring sessions using the BookNook platform. These lessons are conducted virtually via video-conferencing software. Tutors will be on camera with student(s).
We value diversity of all kinds and seek to build a team of tutors that is representative of the students we serve.
As a BookNook Tutor, you will teach reading comprehension and literacy lessons online to groups of 1 - 4 students. You will use BookNook’s learning platform and curriculum, which guide you through lessons and show student performance in real-time. You will meet consistently with the same students each week so you can build relationships that support student learning and development. This position is remote and can work from anywhere.
Who are you?
You are passionate about working with all kinds of learners. You love seeing a child’s eyes light up when they master a new concept. You’re skilled at tailoring your teaching to different learning styles and needs. Every child feels your joy as you see it as a privilege to be able to show up and be present in the lives of your students.
You excel at building meaningful connections with students from diverse racial, cultural, and economic backgrounds. You value the cultural assets, knowledge, and lived experiences that each child brings to tutoring sessions. You make learning meaningful by connecting it to students’ lives.
You approach challenges with a growth mindset. Whether it’s a tech issue or a student struggling to master academic content, you are creative, resourceful, flexible, and resilient in the face of obstacles, setbacks, and unexpected events.
You are an engaging and dynamic teacher. You know just what to do when students look away from the screen or indicate that they are bored, stuck, or disengaged from the lesson. You have multiple tricks up your sleeve that can re-engage even the most reluctant learners.
You empower students to build on their strengths. You see the brilliance in every child, enjoy celebrating their progress and commit to supporting them through both challenges and successes.
You are tech-savvy. You may not be the head of IT, but technology is your friend. You quickly find workarounds when faced with glitches, and aren’t daunted by simultaneously navigating Zoom, our learning platform, and multiple students with different learning needs.
You’re inspired by BookNook’s mission and purpose. You believe in the power of innovative technology and an engaging curriculum combined with the personalized touch of a dedicated tutor.
What we’re looking for:
- Educators with a passion for working with K – 8 students from diverse educational, racial, economic, geographic, and cultural backgrounds
- We welcome experienced educators as well as those just getting started. All tutors must meet at least one of these minimum requirements:
- 3+ years teaching or tutoring OR
- 1 year teaching or tutoring and at least a bachelor’s degree OR
- 1 year teaching or tutoring and current enrollment in a teaching credential program
- Enthusiasm for teaching reading
- Comfort and experience tutoring online and using technology
- All tutors must be a current US Citizen or Permanent Resident and have a current social security number or individual tax identification number issued by the U.S.
- All tutors must be at least 18 years old
- Location: Remote
- Competitive pay rate: For this role, the pay is $18/hour plus potential program by program bonuses. All tutors are independent contractors and responsible for their own self-employment tax filings with the IRS. You will be provided a 1099 at the end of the calendar year.
- Schedule: Once hired and background checked, tutors will be provided access to our Portal to sign up for available tutoring appointments.
- Curriculum: A proven technology platform that guides you through lessons and shows student performance in real-time. At this time, BookNook Tutoring is focusing on reading/literacy programs only.
Our Selection Process:
- Application: The application questions are set up to allow us to get to know you, match your specific qualifications against the qualifications for the role, and allow us to understand our Tutor community better. You will hear from us within 5 business days.
- Interview: We conduct interviews through Spark Hire, a one-way video interview platform. This format allows you to: prepare by having time to think about our questions, complete the interview on your own time schedule, and showcase your skills through a brief teaching demonstration which closely simulates what a tutoring session is like with the BookNook platform.
- Final Decision: After you submit your video interview you will receive notification of our hiring decision within 5 business days via email with instructions to start the background check and onboarding process.
- Background Check Process: Tutors are required to complete specific background checks to serve students in specific states. BookNook has a dedicated team to help answer questions with the various background check processes. This includes email and live support office hours. Further, BookNook reimburses for vendor registration fees, fingerprint servicing fees, and notary fees for all background checks, and even offers periodic background check completion bonuses!
- Being Placed as a Tutor: You will be able to view and sign up for available tutoring sessions that match your schedule as soon as you complete all required paperwork and receive your background check clearance(s). Being selected as a BookNook Online Tutor does not guarantee immediate or consistent tutoring work but we are constantly adding new school programs to our schedule.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity
BookNook embraces diversity and is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.