About the opportunity
Do you thrive in the pursuit of ensuring excellence in environmental consulting services for your clients? SWCA Environmental Consultants is expanding our Rocky Mountain Natural Resources team and looking for dynamic individuals who following their passion in delivering the highest-quality project work.
Our Sheridan, WY office offers a collaborative work environment with a variety of interesting projects. Due to continued growth, we need a Associate Project Restoration Ecologist to join us! As an Associate Restoration Restoration Ecologist, you will have experience working in Rocky Mountain/Great Plains/Intermountain ecosystems, including grassland, sagebrush, and/or subalpine ecosystems with a background in restoration ecology or a related field. This position requires an excellent understanding of soils, hydrology, vegetation, and other physical and biological processes related to grassland, sagebrush, subalpine, and related ecosystems.
The position will report into the Sheridan, WY office but can be remote based in Dakotas, Minnesota, Montana, other parts of Wyoming, or Colorado. Highly qualified candidates in other neighboring states will also be seriously considered.
What you will accomplish
- While working in a multi-discipline team, you will be collaborating with botanists, wildlife biologists, soil scientists, geomorphologists, landscape architects, hydrologists, restoration engineers, and planners.
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to support habitat restoration and reclamation projects including feasibility assessments, conceptual and detailed design, restoration/reclamation oversight, planning, maintenance and performance monitoring, reporting, visual presentations, and overall project management.
- You will have a passion for restoration ecology and reclamation, the capacity to learn, the desire to challenge yourself by developing new approaches and strategies, and communicate with team members and clients (verbal and writing)
- Have experience and a passion to lead efforts in client support and business development.
- Mentor and guide junior staff. Be an active member in the ongoing development of the Restoration Practice Group.
- Help lead projects and pursuits with state-level Oil & Gas Conservation Commissions and other state and federal agencies.
Experience and qualifications for success
- Bachelor of Science in restoration ecology, biology, botany, landscape architecture, environmental science, or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in environmental consulting or related field with a focus on habitat restoration.
- Direct experience with standard restoration and revegetation techniques and experience overseeing implementation and experience overseeing reclamation and restoration implementation, including soil handling/management, seeding, container planting, and site stabilization.
- Knowledge of Rocky Mountain/Great Plains/Intermountain grassland, sagebrush, and/or subalpine ecosystems
- Experience preparing technical studies and/or conceptual and detailed design plans for reclamation and habitat restoration projects, including site assessments, soil evaluations, and vegetation inventories.
- Evaluating analytical soil data and prepare remediation and reclamation strategies to ameliorate limiting factors to reclamation and restoration efforts.
- Expertise collecting, organizing, and analyzing field data that meets the highest standards using the latest protocols and tools.
- Be recognized as a Certified Professional Soil Scientist (CPSS) in Wyoming or Colorado, or willing to work towards that certification.
- Experience working with Oil & Gas Conservation Commissions in Wyoming or Colorado.
- Ability to identify noxious weeds and invasive nonnative species and provide guidance on control, treatment, and adaptive management of these species.
- Experience collecting, organizing, and analyzing field data.
- Strong organizational, communication, and analytical skills as well as ability to multitask.
- Proven ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Experience with biostatistics, experimental design, and survey techniques.
- Experience and knowledge with wildlife and/or botanical surveys and biotechnical reporting a plus.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 1-480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
In accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act (EPEWA), we are disclosing a good faith estimate of the compensation range for roles that will be, or could be, performed in Colorado.
In Colorado, an employee in this position can expect a rate between $60,000/year and $75,000/year, depending on experience, geographic locations, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law. Employees in this position are eligible for consideration for SWCA’s annual bonus program, which provides awards based on individual and organizational performance. To review additional benefits associated with this position, click here: https://www.swca.com/careers/totalrewards/benefits
EOE - Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.