Nippon Express Company, Ltd. (“NX”) was founded in 1872 in Japan and is headquartered in Tokyo. NX employs approximately 72,000 employees at 733 locations, in 47 countries and 314 cities around the world.
Nippon Express U.S.A., Inc. (“NEU”) was incorporated in New York in 1962 as a fully owned subsidiary of NX. NEU provides logistics solutions and comprehensive transportation services through its international freight forwarding and logistics network, including specialized handling of: air, land, sea and express packages; all types and sizes of cargo; personal effects and household goods; fragile and perishable freight; and livestock. NEU also provides related services, such as warehousing, distribution and customs brokerage and clearance. NEU operates at 55 locations in 27 states within the U.S., with approximately 1300 employees. NEU has enjoyed tremendous growth and success as one of the top five international freight forwarders in the world. We connect people with products throughout the world.Responsibilities:
Assist the General Manager in directing daily business operations. The Assistant General Manager (AGM) should be experienced in a supervisory role, and be able to confidently deliver performance feedback, set goals, foster teamwork, and clearly communicate business objectives. The AGM must be able to competently perform duties in the absence of the General Manager.
- Cooperating with the General Manager and assisting with anything from project planning to staff management
- Nurturing positive working relationships with staff
- Delegating daily tasks to Warehouse operation managers.
- Addressing any Branch issues in a timely fashion
- Ensuring company policies and procedures are followed.
- Setting an exemplary example for staff
- Prepare and implement the functional target and productivity plan based on Nippon Express USA’s and the clients’ target and plans.
- Analyzing operation efficiently including collecting and/or creating KPI reports.
- Create, analyze and share reports and graphs with Branch General Manager and Warehouse Operation Managers for operational and performance status review.
- Manage, maintain and meet all accounting budgets set by Finance and Accounting Divisions.
- Ensure Monthly and Annual Profit & Loss statements are managed efficiently. Able to explain all results within your Branch.
- You may be required to engage in physical warehouse activities depending on the operational workload.
- Assist in ensuring the security and safety of the personnel and facility.
- Oversee all Warehouse Operation Managers within the Branch.
- Ensure all levels of the operations follow company policies.
- Supervises and trains warehouse leadership team for high operational performance.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to identify gaps and provide coaching where necessary.
- Planning and organizing – utilizing human capital and other resources in the most effective ways enables the company be profitable.
- Collaboration – must work seamlessly with a variety of employee and managers.
- Coaching– finding ways to motivate others and improve their skills is essential.
- Multitasking – the duties will often be managed simultaneously which means good time management skills are required.
- Computer literacy –being comfortable using a computer for basic office tasks such as writing memos and sending emails is expected.
- Math aptitude– examining spread sheets of performance and revenue requires a good understanding of numbers.
- Vision– looking beyond day-to-day tasks to think of ways the company could improve and increase revenue shows commitment to the employer and its objectives.
- Effective communicator, written and verbal with diverse workforce and customer groups.
- Strong problem-solving abilities.
- Good observation skills in order to promote efficiencies.
- Creates and maintains positive work environment for all workforces.
- An ability to deliver constructive criticism.
- Primary information source for the General Manager and Assistant Vice-President
This position will interact with branch colleagues, leadership staff, and office /warehouse personnel. Must be able to work with customers, vendors, and outside organizations.
(With or without accommodations) This position is predominantly sedentary office work, which involves sitting, typing, filing, and conversing on the phone.
This job description is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities and working conditions of the position. While it is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements, management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary.
Nippon Express offers a generous Employee Benefits Package including:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision beginning the 1st of the month after 30 days.
- 401k with a company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts, HSA, Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance, Short & Long Term Disability, Auto and Home policies, Commuter Benefits, and much more.
- Generous Vacation and Sick time.
Nippon Express USA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.