This position is non-merit and serves at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
Assistant to the Chief Operating Officer
Salary: $94,995 - $147,243
Make a difference in DeKalb County!
Beautiful DeKalb County is Georgia’s fourth largest county with an estimated 759,297 residents calling it home. It encompasses a portion of Atlanta, as well as the cities of Avondale Estates, Brookhaven, Chamblee, Clarkston, Decatur, Doraville, Dunwoody, Lithonia, Stone Mountain, and Tucker. DeKalb is the headquarters of some of the country’s most prominent businesses and organizations including the Centers for Disease Control, the American Cancer Society, Emory University, and Agnes Scott College. There’s so much to see and do here – discover for yourself by visiting www.DiscoverDekalb.com.
Imagine yourself in this role…
As the Assistant to the Chief Operating Officer, you will be instrumental in promoting good government in DeKalb County by:
- Assisting and advising the Chief Operating Officer (COO) regarding departments and functions in areas of assignment
- Serving as the project executive team lead on assigned projects, assisting in defining the scope of the project
- Collaborating with COO and department directors to resolve administrative issues and establish procedures
- Conducting operational research, productivity analyses and management studies to assist in County operations, programs, and services
- Making recommendations for changes in policies and procedures to improve operations
- Assisting in the development and administration of departmental budget; assists assigned departments with budget development
- Assisting citizens with issues that cannot be resolved by department staff and/or which are sensitive in nature
- Representing the County at public events, to community groups, and to various local, state, and national associations
Are you the ONE?
We are looking for a strong candidate with a passion for serving our community!
To be minimally qualified, you must meet the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Public Relations, Business Administration, Communications, or related field required (Master’s degree preferred)
- Eight years of progressively responsible experience in managing local government operations, public relations, or related field, with three years of management experience for a comparably sized organization or as a deputy director for a smaller organization
- Equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job will also be considered
Rewards of working with DeKalb County…
In addition to gratifying work as a public servant, DeKalb County offers a highly competitive total rewards package. We offer:
- Competitive salary
- Hybrid defined benefit/defined contribution pension plan
- Health care insurance plan options including a traditional HMO, POS & HSA
- Dental and vision insurance options
- Basic Life Insurance benefit of 2.25 times an employee’s annual salary rounded up to the next $1,000
- Flexible Spending Account Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Deferred compensation
- Peach State Credit Union
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Leave - 13 days sick leave and a minimum 15 days of annual leave per year
Take the best next step – APPLY NOW! Submit an application today:
We look forward to working with you!